The European Union has negotiated with the United Kingdom a Withdrawal Agreement that enables a transitional period during which the rights of citizens are maintained in accordance with the acquis communautaire, an agreement that has already been approved by both the European and British institutions.

Therefore, European regulations on driving licenses will continue to apply to licenses issued by the United Kingdom until the end of the transitional period, scheduled for December 31, 2020.




With the departure of the United Kingdom from the European Union, British driving licenses will cease to be valid for driving in Spain as of December 31, 2020.

If you are a resident of our country, if you want to continue driving on our roads, You must have renewed your permit for a Spanish one or request a new one.

As of January 1, 2021, the general regulations on licenses from third countries (non-EU countries) will apply and the licenses issued by the British authorities will enable you to drive in Spain for six months from the entry of the holder in Spain or from the date of obtaining legal residence.



If you are not a resident of Spain but will be staying in the country for more than three months, you need to obtain an international permit if you want to drive there. The international license is accepted in practically every country in the world, and allows you to drive normally.

The international permit is valid for one year. It is a temporary permit, so if you are going to change your residence to another country, you will have to find out there how to proceed to exchange or register your permit according to the rules of your new country.

If you come from another country of the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway, and you need an international permit, before requesting your permit in Spain, you will have to register your permit with the General Directorate of Traffic.